Monday, August 27, 2012

Lilly's First Day of School Bento

Today is a day of firsts. Not just the first post here, but Lilly's first day of third grade. It's also sorta kinda the first day of public school. Well, at least the first day that didn't end horribly. We'd tried public school for second grade, but Lilly's teacher wasn't compatible with her. Yes, that's me being nice. So, after a few days of said incompatibility, we decided to pull her and continue to homeschool. It worked out well, but this year we thought we'd give it a fresh start. So far, she loves her teacher and loves school. I thought I'd start this blog because I had a lot of trouble finding Bento lunch ideas and recipes for kids. Yes, I'm aware there are lots of blogs and such that offer some information, but nothing practical that she will eat. She isn't a picky eater, but I made the mistake of letting her overhear me talking about taste buds changing every seven years, and now she uses that as an excuse to stop eating things she used to love. I wanted simple, nutritious lunches that don't take forever. I'm a working mom, so in the lunchbox and out the door is the idea. 
Her first lunch is pretty simple, like I plan for all the lunches to be. 
Ham and cheese 1/2 sammie
carrots and ranch dip
grapes
Chips Ahoy! candy cookies
yogurt covered raisins
Capri Sun Super V (not pictured)

Now I'm going to list what I bought to get started!
I use these Rubbermaid divided containers for her lunch.
They're perfect!
Nothing moves and it seals tightly.
The little cups are Wilton silicone baking cups I found at Walmart.
You can get all different colors, shapes and sizes.
I use an almost flat ice pack underneath to keep things cold.
Lastly, I have to mention the actual Bento stuff.
The "I ♥ U" on her sandwich is from a set of cutters
I purchased on All things for sale.
I could order everything on this site!
I love the little picks and the liners; they have everything!
Anyway, I plan to post Lilly's lunch every school day
as well as recipes or ideas that pop into my head. 
I hope you'll come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment